skip to Main Content
(240) 651-5937

An L-visa (Intracompany Transferee)  is a temporary visa that allows international companies to send their executives or managerial staff to work in the United States’ office.

An L-1A visa is for executive and managerial staff. To qualify for the L-visa, the executive or managerial staff member needs to be employed at the company abroad for a minimum of one year. For the employer to send their staff, they must provide proof of a relationship between the employee and company, such as being a parent company of the office in the United States, be branch office, subsidiary or affiliation. The staff member must prove to come to the United States to serve as an executive and managerial position. Under federal law, coming as an executive means that they have the ability to make decisions for the company without much oversight. Coming to the United States as a manager requires proof of employee supervision, control of the work of professional employees, management of organization, or department, or some type of component within the organization that the staff member is in charge of.  The maximum stay is 7 years with spouses allowing to work without restrictions.

An L-1B has the similar requirements as the L-1A. However, this visas is for staff members of a company that have specialized knowledge that is beyond ordinary and no common in organization and industry that the organization identifies itself. Specialized knowledge can consist of product specifications, research, equipment, techniques, management, and/or expertise in the organization’s processes and procedures.

If the company opens a new office in the United States, other requirements will need to be met for the L-visa. These requirements include but are not limited to, physical office space, have staff members employed for a minimum of one year in an executive position. It is important to consult with an immigration attorney prior to pursuing an L-visa.